Getting Dressy for the Holidays, Plus How I Embarrassed Myself in a Pizzeria

Hi friends! How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun?

My weekend was busy, but with super fun holiday activities, so let’s get right down to business. I also have my weekly meal plan for you guys, as well as a half-marathon training check-in.

Onward!

***

FRIDAY

Friday after work, I hurried home and got ready to attend a holiday party for Felix’s work. It was the annual TJAG Holiday Party, and it was such a fun time, as always!

What to wear to holiday party

Outfit details: Top – French Connection | Skirt – Banana Republic via ThredUp | Heels – Vince Camuto | Handbag: TJ Maxx

We spent the evening with some of our military friends and enjoyed cocktails and a photo shoot after said cocktails, which resulted in this:

weekend recap holiday party

I felt like I looked like Ms. Christmas in my 40’s-inspired skirt. The best part? It was only $20 from ThredUp and came new with tags. Bargain shopper for life.

Speaking of bargains…

You can shop similar styles of my skirt here and, thanks to a partnership with ThredUp, even save 50% with my code POWEREDBYSASS for all first-time orders over $50 for the first 50 users!

Hop on this! You can seriously purchase an entire outfit for $50, and with all of the holiday events this month, you can keep lookin’ fresh without completely breaking the bank. I’m a huge fan of Thredp. Clearly. 🙂 If you purchase something with my code, comment and let me know what you bought!

All in all, Friday was such a fun way to kick off the month of December. I love accompanying Felix to military events, especially when we have an excuse to get fancy and mingle. It was a great time. Good job, Air Force!

SATURDAY

Saturday started with an early morning wakeup and some blog work + coffee in bed, a.k.a my happy place. If you follow me on Instagram and caught my stories, you’d notice I had a little assistant by my side as well.

Originally, this day was supposed to be our 5-miler, but we opted to push the run to Sunday so we could get a jump start on our day.

First stop: the Holiday Market in Downtown DC!

weekend recap holiday dc

The Downtown Holiday Market in DC is such a festive and fun way to shop local, support your community and get into the holiday spirit, and we had a blast walking around and stopping by each tent.

One of my favorites was an artist’s tent whose medium was wood and each were painted with inspirational quotes and words of encouragement. I absolutely loved it. I even got choked up a couple of times.

Ewba art company dc

Ewba art company

You can find more of her work here.

After browsing the market for awhile, we popped into Fado’s Irish Pub for some food, drinks and the Manchester United game for Felix. I enjoyed a Moscow Mule + pita and hummus and a jerk chicken sandwich.

We left DC around 3 p.m. to head back to Old Town, because we had a Holiday Boat Parade of Lights to catch with our friends!

We walked to the parade from our apartment and enjoyed seeing all of the boats decked out in beautiful light displays. If I’ve learned anything since moving to Old Town, it’s that if there’s an excuse to get festive, they will. #SoStarsHollow

After the parade, we grabbed dinner at one of our favorite pizza spots, Lost Dog Cafe, and I ordered one of my favorite sandwiches, which is BBQ chicken on a sub with muenster cheese, avocado and jalepeños.

Everything was going fine, until I made the bonehead move to ALSO order a vanilla milkshake.

Why was this a bonehead move, you ask?

BECAUSE I’M LACTOSE INTOLERANT.

You see, I’ve had an aversion to milk and dairy my entire life. Consuming dairy would leave me in crippling pain as a child, but as I’ve gotten older, it’s seemed to subside a bit. I’ve definitely been decking the halls lately and enjoying quite a bit of dairy in the form of cranberry-crusted goat cheese salad, eggnog daiquiris and Saturday night, a vanilla milkshake that made me question EVERY DECISION IN MY LIFE.

Long story short, I ran out of the restaurant for fresh air, ran back inside to the bathroom and then ran into my apartment building and spent the rest of the evening hating myself. And this all happened within twenty minutes of each other. I felt like Maya Rudolph in Bridesmaids. TMI? Yes. Reality? Most definitely.

Lesson learned. No more dairy for me.

It’s been real, goat cheese salad, but I think it’s time we see other people.

SUNDAY

I woke up Sunday morning feeling so much better, and after having coffee and a homemade pumpkin scone, Felix and I hit the gym for our five mile run.

half marathon training run

I watched Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Winter (because I am obsessed with Gilmore Girls in case you couldn’t tell) and breezed right through it. It was a strong run! I felt good.

The rest of the evening was spent grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning the apartment. We’re also trying to finalize our Christmas travel plans. We know we’ll be in New Orleans on Christmas Day, but we’ve kind of been itching to travel lately and are looking into a super speedy two-day trip to Toronto. Ever been? Have any recommendations?

Weekly Meal Plan

Breakfasts: smoothies, boiled eggs for F and homemade pumpkin and/or banana bread via Making Thyme for Health (MTFH)
Lunches: dinner leftovers + large salads
Snacks: fruit and Rx Bars
Dinners: stuffed peppers, farro salad with lemon tahini (also MTFH!), stuffed shells with cashew “ricotta cheese” and spaghetti squash with tofu and mashed sweet potatoes

Weekly Workouts + Half-Marathon Training Week 2

Week two is down and was a strong one! Here are the workouts I did each day. Note: Saturday was a rest day and Sunday was the 5-miler + abs in the evening.

half marathon training

I’m excited to enter week three on Monday! We have a 6-miler on Saturday and will be trying Gu for the first time. Have you tried Gu as pre-run and intra-run fuel? I’d love to know your thoughts!

That’s all I have for you, friends! I hope you have an excellent week and I’ll be back later in the week to check in! As always, you can follow me on Instagram for daily life happenings and like PBS on Facebook to stay in the loop with topics not mentioned on the blog.

Have a great week!

Question of the Day!

Do you have a food intolerance and a horror story to share? In hindsight, they can be kind of funny, right? #barfinginpublicrestooms

What was one highlight from your weekend?

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

14 Comments

1. December 3, 2017 / 7:35 pm

I hope the vanilla milkshake was amazingly delicious before you got sick!

I’ve never used the Gu brand before, but I do use gels on my run. My personal favorite is the PowerGel in the berry flavor. It works well for my body and the consistency isn’t too thin or too thick.

2. Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
    December 3, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Oh, it was SO amazingly delicious! Next time, I’m afraid it’ll have to be made with dairy-free ice cream instead. 😉 Good to know! I’ve heard some negatives about the consistency of Gu, but I’ve also heard their flavors are palatable. We shall see. I’ll have to check out the berry PowerGel though. Thanks for the insight!

3. December 3, 2017 / 10:18 pm

Have you tried using Lactaid before eating dairy? Garrett recently realized that he’s lactose intolerant, and a Lactaid usually prevents most if not all of the discomfort.

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
      December 4, 2017 / 6:21 am

I haven’t actually, but I don’t even know why. I think I’ve been in denial about it for my entire life, but after this weekend, there truly is no denying that my body strongly dislikes dairy, so Lactaid it is!

• December 4, 2017 / 7:32 pm

They have pills and then they have chewable ones. Get the “fast act” ones so you can take them right before you eat. They have been super helpful for Garrett. It seems to be that if you plan on eating a TON of dairy, like a lot of pizza or something, take 2 or 3. Also we have researched which types of cheese and other products have the least lactose, and try to eat those instead of higher-lactose things.

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
          December 4, 2017 / 8:13 pm

You’re my hero. That’s a good idea to research dairy with the least lactose. And, in all fairness, the milkshake I had was basically a giant glass of milk. I’m an IDIOT. But you’re not – thank you for these tips! Lactaid for everyone!

4. December 4, 2017 / 4:20 pm

I’m lactose intolerant too and my face breaks out if I eat most dairy. Honestly, because my stomach used to hurt so much I would be curled in fetal position, I am not even tempted by ice cream and milkshakes. Besides the milkshake, it looks like you had a great weekend. I spent a day in NYC on Sunday, seeing a Broadway show, Cats and checking out the Christmas tree. It was the perfect day to walk around since it was a warm (new definition of warm because it’s winter) 50 degrees.

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
      December 4, 2017 / 6:02 pm

Ice cream is one of my favorite foods, so it’ll be hard for me to stay away unless I’m in the comfort of my own home. But it’s safe to say I will no longer being having heavy milkshakes. Lesson learned, and the pain isn’t worth it for me, as it sounds it isn’t for you! NYC is one of my favorite cities! And the Rockefeller tree never disappoints. Sounds like you had a great weekend as well. Thanks for stopping by the blog today!

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
      December 4, 2017 / 6:00 pm

Thanks! They’re surprisingly comfortable, too!

5. December 5, 2017 / 2:53 pm

I’m lactose intolerant as well! My stomach hurts so bad from certain things that I won’t even bring myself near them due to the pain! I usually just drink a TON of water if I do eat something that I should have not!

Karissa | http://www.simplykarissaa.com

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
      December 5, 2017 / 3:26 pm

Water definitely helps! I’ve noticed cheeses like goat cheese/feta don’t make me as uncomfortable, but if it’s melty, rich cheese and, obviously, milkshakes (LESSON LEARNED), I writhe in pain. It’s wild! A friend recommended Lactaid, which I might take as a precaution, but I definitely plan to purposely avoid dairy from this point forward as much as possible! Thanks for stopping by the blog today, Karissa!

6. Stan
    December 8, 2017 / 3:32 pm

Who was the artist? I don’t see them credited here. Did you buy any of their work? I hope you supported them in some way because I think it’s important to not be tacky. This is Powered By Sass, not Powered By Tack.

• Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
      December 8, 2017 / 3:49 pm

Hi Stan! Thank you so much for stopping by the blog today and for also commenting. I appreciate the support and readership. You are correct, this is Powered by Sass and not Powered by Tack. Thank you for the constructive comment and for reminding me to credit the artist. You will now see a link to her website. The name is EWBA, by the way, which is an acronym for Everything Will Be Amazing. A nice little reminder, I think. And to answer your question, I did purchase two of her pieces. One is on my Christmas tree. It reads “I love the Internet for bringing us together,” since the Internet is responsible for me meeting my boyfriend of 2.5 years who serves our country. The second reads, “You don’t suck,” and it sits on my desk at work, because we could all use the reminder. To clarify, I asked the artist’s permission before snapping these photos, to which she responded with an excited, “Absolutely!” I recommend checking out her stuff. It’s lovely. Again, thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great weekend! – Powered by Sass, not Powered by Tack 🙂

Tell me your thoughts!